Phool Makhana, also known as lotus seeds, are a traditional food staple in Asian cultures and have been used for centuries in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine. These small, round seeds are packed with a variety of nutrients and offer a host of surprising health benefits. Here are seven reasons why you should include lotus seeds in your diet.
- Low in Calories: One of the biggest advantages of lotus seeds is that they are low in calories. A 100-gram serving of lotus seeds contains just 130 calories, making them a great snack option for those trying to lose weight.
- High in Protein: Lotus seeds are also a great source of protein, with a 100-gram serving containing 6.1 grams of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing muscle tissue, and a diet rich in protein can help with weight loss and muscle building.
- Rich in Fiber: Lotus seeds are also high in fiber, with a 100-gram serving containing 2.4 grams of fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system and can also help lower cholesterol levels.
- Good for Heart Health: Lotus seeds are rich in magnesium, which is essential for maintaining a healthy heart. Magnesium helps to relax blood vessels, which can lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- May Help with Sleep: Lotus seeds contain a compound called GABA, which is known to help with sleep. GABA is a natural sedative and can help to calm the mind and promote a sense of relaxation.
- May Improve Fertility: Lotus seeds are also believed to improve fertility. They contain a compound called saponins, which are thought to increase the production of sperm and improve sperm motility.
- May Help with Stress and Anxiety: Lotus seeds are also believed to help with stress and anxiety. They contain a compound called L-theanine, which is known to promote a sense of calm and relaxation.
In conclusion, lotus seeds are a great addition to any diet due to their low-calorie content, high protein and fiber content, and a host of other health benefits. They are a delicious and versatile food that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, from roasted as a snack to added to soups and stews. So next time you’re looking for a healthy snack or ingredient to add to your meals, give lotus seeds a try and see the many benefits they can offer.