Barley tea, also known as mugicha in Japan and boricha in Korea, is a popular drink made from roasted barley grains. It has a light, slightly sweet, and nutty flavor that makes it a refreshing and invigorating beverage. Despite its popularity in Asia, barley tea is still relatively unknown in the Western world. However, it is slowly gaining popularity due to its numerous health benefits. Here are nine reasons why you should consider including barley tea in your diet:
- Helps lower blood pressure: Barley tea is a rich source of potassium, which is essential for maintaining healthy blood pressure levels. Potassium helps to regulate the balance of fluids in your body and helps to relax your blood vessels, which can help to lower blood pressure.
- Boosts immunity: Barley tea contains antioxidants, which are compounds that help to protect your body against free radicals, which can cause cellular damage. These antioxidants can help to boost your immune system and help to fight off infections and diseases.
- Promotes weight loss: Barley tea is low in calories and contains no fat, making it an excellent choice for those looking to lose weight. It is also rich in fiber, which can help to keep you feeling full and satisfied, helping you to eat less and lose weight more easily.
- Improves digestion: The fiber in barley tea can also help to improve your digestion. It helps to bulk up your stools, making them easier to pass through your digestive system, and can help to prevent constipation.
- Reduces inflammation: Barley tea contains compounds called lignans, which have anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation is a natural response to injury or infection, but chronic inflammation has been linked to a range of diseases, including heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. By reducing inflammation, barley tea may help to reduce your risk of these diseases.
- Helps to lower cholesterol: Barley tea contains a type of soluble fiber called beta-glucan, which has been shown to help lower cholesterol levels. High cholesterol is a risk factor for heart disease, so by lowering your cholesterol, you can help to reduce your risk of heart disease.
- May help to prevent cancer: Some studies have suggested that barley tea may have anti-carcinogenic properties, meaning it may help to prevent cancer. While more research is needed to confirm these findings, it is still worth considering adding barley tea to your diet as a potential cancer-preventing agent.
- Promotes healthy skin: Barley tea is rich in antioxidants, which can help to protect your skin from the damaging effects of free radicals. It is also a good source of vitamin C, which helps to produce collagen, a protein that gives your skin its elasticity and strength. By drinking barley tea, you may be able to improve the appearance of your skin and keep it looking healthy and youthful.
- Relieves stress: Barley tea contains theanine, an amino acid that is known to have a calming effect on the body. By drinking barley tea, you may be able to reduce your stress levels and improve your overall sense of well-being.
In conclusion, barley tea is a delicious and healthy beverage that has numerous benefits for your body. From lowering blood pressure and boosting immunity to promoting weight loss and improving skin health, there are many reasons to include it in your diet. So next time you’re looking for a refreshing and healthy drink, consider giving barley tea a try.